Extension Cord Safety Tips for McClintock Manor?
Extension cords can cause fires, injuries, and even death when improperly used. SERVPRO® of North Tempe and Mesa East offers these extension cord safety tips for McClintock Manor residents from The Electrical Safety Foundation International (EFSI):
- Do not overload extension cords or allow them to run through water or snow on the ground
- Do not substitute extension cords for permanent wiring
- Do not run through walls, doorways, ceilings, or floors
- Do not use an extension cord for more than one appliance
- Multiple plug outlets must be plugged directly into mounted electrical receptacles; they cannot be chained together
- Make sure the extension cord or temporary power strip is rated for the products to be plugged in and is marked for either indoor or outdoor use
- Never use a cord that feels hot or is damaged in any way
- Never use three-prong plugs with outlets with only two slots for the plug. Do not cut off the ground pin to force a fit. Never force a plug into an outlet if it doesn’t fit.
- Buy only cords approved by an independent testing laboratory, such as Underwriters Laboratories (UL), Intertek (ETL), or Canadian Standards Association (CSA)
Franchises are independently owned and operated.