What To Do When Disaster Strikes
It happens when you least expect it. You take the steps to the basement, and when your foot hits the floor, you step onto wet carpet. You have no idea where the water is coming from, or how long it’s been there.
After the initial shock and confusion, you may find yourself asking, “What do I do now?”. The following steps can help you navigate the process of managing a water loss in a quick, effective manner, reducing the amount of damage to your home, and keeping the overall cost to you as low as possible.
Stopping The Source
Stopping the flow of water is the first step to getting on the right track. Shutting off the water to the appliance or area that is leaking is important to be able to fix the leak. If you are able, shut the water off to this area, or to the whole house if you are unsure of where the water is coming from.
Once the leak is identified, or even if you are unsure of the cause, calling a Licensed Plumber to identify and fix the problem is highly advisable. This ensures that the leak is fixed correctly, and/or that the appliance in question is properly repaired or replaced.
Keeping Damages to a Minimum
Once any amount of water has leaked into your home, there will be damage. However, you can keep this damage to a minimum by calling SERVPRO® of North Tempe as soon as possible at 480-456-0000. The sooner we arrive, the sooner we can begin to clean up and minimize the damage, potentially saving you thousands of dollars in home repairs.
Also, the less time the water spends saturating the materials in your home, the lower the likelihood that your home will develop mold and microbial growth.
Water leaking into your home is never desirable. Sewage leaking into your home can be considered a nightmare, especially when it affects a large area or multiple levels in your house. Exposed sewage can create a risk of mold and microbial growth, as well as illness for those in the home. Prompt clean-up and neutralization of contaminants are the first priority.
When sewage backs up through drains or toilets, the first thing to do is call a Licensed Plumber, or your city Water and Sewer Provider. Finding the source, and ensuring that there is not another sewage loss in your home is key to preventing multiple mitigations from being needed, and ultimately keeps the cost to you to a minimum.
Once SERVPRO® of North Tempe is on-site, an initial assessment will be made of the damages and projected time needed to dry the structure. Also, an assessment will be made of the materials affected, and it will be determined if those materials can be dried, or will need to be removed.
If your contents, such as furniture, boxes, clothing, and decorative items cannot remain in place while drying, SERVPRO® of North Tempe provides moving and pack-out services for on-site or off-site storage while mitigation is taking place.
The average mitigation takes about 3 days but could take less or more time depending on the level of saturation and the scale of the loss.
SERVPRO® of North Tempe Technicians and Crew Chiefs use a variety of equipment and tools to ensure proper drying, including but not limited to dehumidifiers, air mover fans, and non-invasive moisture monitors.
Once ensuring that your home has met industry drying standards, SERVPRO® of North Tempe Crew Chiefs and Technicians will remove all equipment and remove any items brought into your home. If materials have been removed, SERVPRO® of Denver West offers construction and building repairs, allowing a quicker turnaround time for your building's restoration.
These steps can help guide you through the stressful time of water loss in your home.
Feel free to call SERVPRO® of Denver West at any time with questions about mitigation, water damage, or clean-up services at 480-456-0000.
Water damage is never pleasant, but with SERVPRO® of Denver West, you can assure a professional and quality cleanup.
How To Prepare For a Natural Disaster
Preparation and readiness before a natural disaster strikes can make all the difference in losing valuable possessions, and salvaging your property.
Natural fires can spark at any time. Storm waters can rage and spread quickly. Always have a flashlight, fire extinguisher, and disaster plan in place for your family and business.
These things will allow you to respond quickly and safely if an event was to occur.
SERVPRO® of North Tempe provides free Emergency Response Plans (ERP) for businesses to help identify risk factors, key points in the building, and personnel notifications among many other things. Preparing in advance is Storm Readiness. Call our Development Team at 480-456-0000 for your Business Emergency Ready Plan. An account representative can implement an Emergency Ready Profile for your business at no cost.
Do You Know Where Most Fires Come From?
Do you know what the number one cause of house fires is? If you guessed cooking incidents then you'd be correct. These incidents are usually brought on by leaving a pot or pan unattended while you run and do something for "just a minute." According to the NFPA, 40% of all fires, or on average 156,600 per year are started this way. There is a (57%) of a fire starting on a range compared to in the oven (16%) due to frying.
Wandering if there's anything you can do to prevent becoming one of these 156,00 house fires a year? Well keep reading, SERVPRO® of North Tempe has your back.
- Make sure you are always alert and never leave your food unattended while it is cooking.
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working and you have a fire extinguisher close by.
- NEVER throw water on a grease fire, it will only spread it faster. Instead, put a lid on the pan to smother the fire.
- If the fire starts in your oven, simply turn it off and keep the oven door closed until the fire is out.
- Always keep anything burnable like clothing or towels away from fires.
If your property experiences fire, soot, or smoke damage call SERVPRO® of North Tempe. We have IICRC Trained staff ready to help restore your home to preloss condition. We are Here to help® 480-456-0000.
Call and Plan an ERP for Your Commercial Building
The Best Way to Reduce Business Interruption Following a Disaster is to Plan For it NOW. As many as 50% of businesses may never recover following a disaster, according to the latest industry research. Of the businesses that survive, the overwhelming majority of them had a preparedness plan in place. Pre-planning can serve as an insurance policy aimed at peace of mind. By developing a SERVPRO® Emergency READY Profile for your business, you minimize business interruption by having an immediate plan of action. Knowing what to do and what to expect in advance is the key to timely mitigation and can help minimize how water and fire damage can affect your business.
This is what is covered in our Emergency Ready Program (ERP)
- A no-cost assessment of your facility
- A concise Profile Document that contains only critical information needed in the event of an emergency
- A guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster
- Establishes your local SERVPRO® Franchise Professional as your disaster mitigation and restoration provider
- Identification of the line of command for authorizing work to begin
- SERVPRO® is a sponsor of the American Red Cross Ready Rating™ Program
- Provides Facility details such as shut-off valve locations, priority area, and priority contact information
Preparation is a key component for making it through any size disaster, whether it’s a small water leak, a large fire, or an area flood. The best time for planning for such events is not when the event happens, but well before it happens. No one ever plans on a disaster, but you can plan for it. Now is the time to ask yourself, “Are you ready for whatever could happen?” Call SERVPRO® of North Tempe at 480-456-0000 to get your ERP started.
24-Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of North Tempe is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help 24/7, Call Us Today at (480) 456-0000
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling confused, stressed, and vulnerable. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of North Tempe has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of North Tempe
SERVPRO of North Tempe specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial properties after a fire, smoke, or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. Call us today at 480-456-0000.
Our Highly Trained Restoration Specialist Can Restore Your Property
SERVPRO of North Tempe is an IICRC firm. The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) creates the standards for the restoration industry and provides training and certification to restoration companies. IICRC Certified Firms have the right to display the IICRC Certified Logo.
The IICRC Develops The Standards For The Restoration Industry
The IICRC has been the driving force in establishing the industry standards and reference guides for professional carpet cleaning, water damage restoration, and mold remediation. These IICRC standards take years to develop and require the coordination of experts in the field: manufacturers, industry organizations, insurance professionals, training schools, contractors, and public health professionals.
Every five years, the standards are reviewed and updated. The water damage restoration field changes rapidly with advancements in technology and science, and therefore the standards must evolve to keep pace
To Be IICRC Certified Firms must
- Present accurate information to consumers and conduct business with honesty and integrity.
- Require a technician on all jobs who has been formally trained and passed all required tests.
- Require a continuing education program to keep technicians up-to-date on the latest changes in the industry.
- Maintain liability insurance to protect all parties in the event of an accident.
- Maintain a written complaint policy and agree to Better Business Bureau or similar arbitration to resolve disputes, and accept the conclusions and recommendations of arbitration.
About SERVPRO of North Tempe
SERVPRO of North Tempe specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial properties after a fire, smoke, or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration and we are an IICRC Certified Firm. We believe in continuous training: from initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
Among being IICRC certified, here are some more certifications of SERVPRO of North Tempe
Call us if your property experience any fire, smoke, or water damage at 480-456-0000.
Steps to Clean Up After a Commercial Renovation
When your commercial property undergoes a renovation the clean-up can seem like an afterthought. SERVPRO of North Tempe has provided steps to ensure your property is cleaned properly:
Usually, a post-construction clean-up will include the following:
- Sweep and vacuum all surfaces, including ceilings and walls
- Sweep, mop, and disinfect floors
- Vacuum all upholstery
- Wipe down doors, knobs, baseboards, moldings, and hardware
- Thorough wipe-down and sanitization of bathrooms and kitchens (including appliances, cabinets, and counters)
- Dust, vacuum, and wipe down all window interiors including sills and frames
- Dust all ducts, grates, vents, blinds, ceiling fans, and lighting fixtures
- Clean all hardware such as hinges and handles
- Clean inside and outside of shelves and cabinets
- Clean inside all closets
- Removal of all remaining trash and debris (although your contractor should have removed most of this as part of the contract)
If you’re trying to decide whether to do it yourself or to outsource it to the experts, ask the following questions:
- Do you have the energy and time?
- How long will it take you?
- Do you have any money left in the renovation budget you could put toward the cleaning? (Or better yet, build it in now if you haven’t started!)
Different circumstances will determine who gets the job, but a thorough clean is crucial. All kinds of particles are released into the air during renovations, including various toxins, mold spores, silicates, and ultra-fine dust that can damage your lungs. Freshly applied paints, lacquers, and primers also give off fumes. Given the possible dangers to your health, the hefty price tag for a proper clean may well be worth it! If you are looking for experts in cleaning your commercial property call SERVPRO of North Tempe at 480-456-0000.
When Storms or Floods Hit Arizona, SERVPRO of North Tempe is Ready
SERVPRO of North Tempe specializes in storm and flood damage restoration. Our crews are highly trained and we use specialized equipment to restore your property to its pre-storm condition.
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with access to national resources. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost, we are able to mobilize and be on-site with the correct equipment within hours of the loss notification.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit, we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 2,000 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
Have Storm or Flood Damage? Call Us Today at (480) 456-0000
With SERVPRO of North Tempe on the job, you know it will be "Like it never even happened."
Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and soot are invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allow us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and Soot Facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of North Tempe will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We treat our customers with empathy, respect, and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage? Call Us Today at (480) 456-0000.
We Specialize in Flooded Basement Cleanup and Restoration for Commercial and Residential Buildings!
A basement can flood at any time. Basements are inherently prone to flooding because they are the lowest level of a building and are normally built partly or entirely below ground level. There are a number of reasons why your basement could flood, including:
- A blocked or failed sewer lateral pipe
- Heavy rain causes surface water to pool around your home
- Storm sewer backup
- Sanitary sewer backup
- Foundation drainage failure
- Water supply-line break or hot-water tank failure
- And many more
Have Questions about Basement Flooding?
Call SERVPRO of North Tempe Today - (480) 456-0000
If flood water is not handled quickly and properly, it can jeopardize your health and safety, and cause severe damage to your home’s structure. Remember, the longer you wait, the worse the problem will get.
The bottom line: a flooded basement can jeopardize your health, safety, and your home’s integrity. It’s worth making a call to SERVPRO of North Tempe to allow our trained, professional crews to handle the situation safely and correctly. We have earned the trust of hundreds of homeowners, business owners, and property professionals.
We are Flooded Basement Specialists:
- We are Available 24 hours/7 days per week
- We’re a Preferred Vendor to many National Insurance Companies
- We Bill The Insurance Directly – One Less Thing For You To Worry About
- Our Technicians are Highly-Trained in Water Restoration Techniques
- We use s500 IICRC Restoration Standards
- Advanced Inspection and Extraction Equipment
Basement Flooded? Call Us Today – We’re Ready To Help (480) 456-0000